This has been a great challenge to participate in. So far, I've spent about $230.00 in groceries this month. That is for food only and doesn't count the laundry, dish soap and goodies for our adopted soldier, Anita, in Iraq (http://www.adoptaplatoon.org/).
There's still plenty of meat left in our freezer and deep freeze. So much, that I could continue this challenge into February, maybe even March!
Here's some of the recipes of what I made from meat I had in the deep freeze:
- Savoury Pork Stew (absolutely loved this first-time recipe)
- Homemade Pizza (our MOMS Club hosts a monthly "Make&Take" pizza night)
- Slow Cooked Chicken Taco Soup (I made it too hot & froze 2 huge Ziploc bags of leftovers)
- Slow Cooked Baked Beans (were a little dry, froze 1 huge Ziploc bag of leftovers)
- Slow Cooked Sweet & Sour Turkey Wings (loved this first-time recipe)
- Slow Cooked Pot Roast (using 1 can French Onion Soup & 1 can Cream of Mushroom - heaven)
I haven't done much baking as our troop's Girl Scout cookies are in and it's filled our cookie jar. I'm sure we've eaten as many as we've sold - save me! I'm going to thank my Brownie Troop for all their hard work by making them Nutty Chocolate Delight using Girl Scout Shortbread Cookies.
We have been busy the last couple weeks running errands. After all the cold, snow and ice here it was nice to get out of the house. This did, however, lead us to a few stops at McDonald's which probably adds an extra $30.00 onto what I spent on food this month.
For our daughter's packed-lunch it's been sandwiches made with homemade bread, with fruit, Girl Scout cookies and a drink. We follow the Waste-Free-Lunches model by not producing any garbage when she brings a lunch to school. For breakfast she's been eating banana bread that her friend made for our family and it's delicious! I must get the recipe from her as it has a yummy cinnamon-sugar topping.
MEAL PLAN FOR THE WEEK:
- Honey-Banana Bread
- Nutty Chocolate Delight (for my Girl Scout troop)
- Rosemary Baked Chicken with Potatoes (one of our family's favourites)
- Ham & Cheddar in a Loaf (using breadmaker pizza dough)
- Crispy Herbed-Baked Chicken Tenders (for lunch today)
This week I'll need to pick-up some milk, fruit and veggies but my grocery balance for the month should still be low. For more Pantry Challenge Updates, visit Life As Mom to see how the other participants are doing.